Higher medical costs, changing demographics and healthcare reform are challenging medical groups to find more cost effective ways to recruit and retain qualified professional staff. Consider how much it costs to hire a new physician: recruiting costs, a signing bonus, relocation expenses and other start-up costs can cut into your bottom line. In order to reduce attrition among younger physicians and advanced clinicians, as well as incentivize senior members to reconsider early retirement, practice owners are offering more attractive benefits packages.
A Strong Benefits Package is Your Best Defense
TMA Insurance Trust has partnered with The Hartford, a leader in group life and disability products for medical groups, to help practice owners stay competitive and reduce turnover in physicians and advanced clinicians. From life and accident insurance to disability products with sub-specialty protection for physicians, the program provides a full suite of benefits that can be tailored to the unique needs of your medical group. The best part is that TMA Insurance Trust has negotiated exclusive rates for TMA members. In addition, group plans are available for as few as three physicians.
Enhanced Coverage for TMA Members
• UP to 7% EXCLUSIVE RATE REDUCTION: 2% for basic and supplemental life and short and long-term disability coverage for TMA members. PLUS an additional 5% reduction in disability coverage, if you are also a member of the MGMA.
• NEW! Infectious and Contagious Disease Benefit can be part of your employees long-term disability plan (LTD). This benefit is provided when the insured employee is not disabled, but has lost income due to the disclosure of an infectious or contagious disease. (Disclosure will protect the practice and this benefit protects the employee.)
• Extended Earnings Protection Benefit (LTD) provides a benefit for an insured who is no longer disabled, but continues to suffer an earnings loss.
Many physicians are concerned about having enough disability coverage to protect their incomes, should they become disabled and unable to work for a time. Here are some distinctive features that can set your benefits package apart:
• Coverage includes Own Specialty and Sub-Specialty protection based on how a physician performs his or her specialty (at your group, not based on how it is performed in the general labor market).
• The Hartford has eliminated many restrictions found in other policies such as maximum capacity, self-reported conditions, mandatory return to work, and mandatory rehabilitation. They’ve also eliminated the reduction for other disability benefits you may have such as individual disability or association benefits, or a requirement that one must continue to live in the US or Canada to receive benefits.
• Return-to-Work Incentive — For claimants who are not able to return to work fully during a period of disability, the Return-to-Work Incentive allows the payment of the LTD benefit for 12 to 24 months without reduction, as long as the total income from all sources does not exceed 100% of the claimants’ pre-disability earnings.
• No Musculoskeletal Limitations — Approximately thirty percent of claims by physicians are musculoskeletal in nature. Unlike other carriers that may terminate a claim after two years due to musculoskeletal disabilities, the Hartford program will not apply this limit to an approved claim.
• Additional benefits are available for your group such as pension contribution and a type of Key Man coverage.
Group Life Insurance
The value of a quality life insurance benefit should not be overlooked as an important component of building a sound financial future. Not all policies offer these valuable provisions:
• Life Continuation with premium payment allows a disabled claimant to continue their basic and supplemental life coverage while disabled and working.
• Living Benefit Option accelerates the benefits of terminally ill employees or dependents up to $500,000.
• Portability Option and Conversion Options allow employees who leave the practice, or are under other qualifying conditions, to take all or a portion of their coverage with them.
TMA Insurance Trust, working with The Hartford, is committed to helping members in private practice provide the necessary incentives to recruit and retain the best physicians and medical professionals, thereby reducing lost revenue from physician turnover. For more information about the advantages of this group benefits program, contact our TMA Insurance Trust advisors. The consultation is free of charge for members.
TMA Insurance Trust is a full-service insurance agency with over 60 years of experience helping Texas physicians protect their assets, family and practice. Advocating for members, TMA Insurance advisors offer unbiased information and strategies, along with exclusive group rates on a range of the highest-rated plans in the industry. And since advisors don’t work on commission, there is never any obligation or sales pressure.
Want to speak to an advisor? Complete the form below and we will reach out shortly.
The Hartford® is The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. and its subsidiaries including issuing company Hartford Life and Accident Insurance Company. Home Office is One Hartford Plaza, Hartford, CT 06155. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of the policy. Policies underwritten by the issuing companies listed above detail exclusions, limitations, reduction of benefits and terms under which the policies may be continued in force or discontinued.
Disability Form Series includes GBD-1000, GBD-1200, or state equivalent. Life Form Series includes GBD-1000, GBD-1100, or state equivalent. Accident Form Series includes GBD-1000, GBD-1300, or state equivalent.