Most of us are used to the idea of having insurance to help protect what’s important in our lives – like our health, our home, and our car. But we don’t often think about helping to protect the very thing that’s vital to the financial well-being of our family – our ability to earn a living.
As a physician, it’s likely that you earn a good living. You’ve achieved that through years of dedication, hard work and sacrifice. Therefore, it’s important that you have a way to help protect your income in the event you become sick or injured and cannot work.
Don’t Risk Your Financial Future
It goes without saying that if you couldn’t work, you’d have a hard time supporting your family and maintaining the lifestyle you’re used to living. For most physicians, the long-term effect of not working could be financially disastrous.
And if you think the chances of this happening while you’re young and healthy are slim, consider this: In 2019, JAMA reported that in a survey of physicians who reported a disability, over 16% were under age 40.*
That’s why there’s long term disability insurance – to provide income in the event you become unable to work due to illness or injury. The question then is: how much coverage – or income protection – do you actually need?
See Your Risk With This Simple Tool
Some physicians already have some disability coverage. Others have none. To help estimate how much income protection you may need, try our quick and easy Unprotected Income Calculator. Enter a few facts anonymously and you’ll get a quick look at how much of your income is not protected until retirement. Once you know this there are ways to close the gap with various disability insurance options.
Save On Own-Occupation Plans From National Carriers
We offer a number of options to fit your individual needs and they come with discounts available exclusively to TMA members. You would not likely find these options and discounts anywhere else. Below are exclusive arrangements that TMA members are entitled to:
- Our TMA Member Long Term Disability Plan issued by The Prudential Insurance Company of America comes with a 25% Thank You Credit that can effectively save members thousands of dollars over the life of the policy.** This plan can be an affordable way to supplement your existing coverage and comes with a simple, time-saving application process.
- We also work with Guardian, a leader in individual “own occupation” disability insurance. TMA members can take advantage of exclusive discounts up to 20% – plus a special rider that can continue to fund your retirement savings.
- A high-benefit plan is also available through Lloyd’s of London that provides a monthly benefit up to $100,000. This plan is not constricted by the limits domestic carriers place on the amount of coverage you can have – and comes with a 20% discount for TMA members.
Women Physicians Can Save Thousands of Dollars
An important note for women physicians: The rates for individual disability insurance for women tend to be 40% - 50% higher than for men. The TMA Member Plan can help resolve this in two ways:
- The TMA Member Long Term Disability Insurance Plan features the same premium rates for men and women. For a woman, that represents a 40% - 50% savings compared to an individual plan.
- In addition, TMA members receive our “Thank You” Credit of 25% savings on premiums. That could represent a savings of thousands of dollars over time.
Discover What Makes Our Advisors Different
If you’d like to discuss which disability options might be right for you our advisors can help. We work with multiple carriers so we can provide you with the best possible insurance solution for your needs.
If you have an older plan, our advisors can review it. They may recommend you keep that coverage because you got it when you were likely younger and healthier and the rate was more advantageous. In that case, they may suggest a supplemental plan to increase your coverage. That’s something you can discuss with them in a no-cost, no-pressure consultation.
One principal difference between our advisors and other insurance agents and brokers is that our advisors do not receive any sales-based commissions – so your interests always have and always will come first.
Start Now With a Stress-Free Call
Protecting your income shouldn’t be left to chance or neglect. Speak with an advisor at 800-880-8181 Monday through Friday 7:30 to 5:30 CST.
For over 60 years, TMA Insurance Trust advisors have been serving Texas physicians, their families and staff. TMA Insurance Trust prides itself on offering unbiased information and strategies to members, along with exclusive group rates on a range of the highest-rated plans in the industry.