Nearly all physicians are diligent about securing comprehensive health insurance coverage, yet a surprising number opt out of dental insurance. Overlooking this important coverage can have a significant impact on your health.
Connecting Oral Health with Total Wellness
The medical community has come to understand that there's a synergistic relationship between oral health and overall wellness. Neglecting your oral health can contribute to various diseases and conditions, including:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Pregnancy and birth complications
- Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia
Periodontal disease and inflammation resulting from poor oral health can put you at a higher risk for certain cancers and trigger infections that can lead to these potentially devastating conditions.
Other conditions you may already be receiving treatment for can also affect your oral health. Having dental insurance coverage is even more imperative if you have:
- Diabetes. By reducing the body’s resistance to infection, diabetes puts your gums at risk. Gum disease appears to be more frequent and severe among people who have diabetes. Research shows that people who have gum disease have a harder time controlling their diabetes. Regular periodontal care can improve diabetes control.
- HIV/AIDS. Oral problems, such as painful mucosal lesions, are common in people who have HIV/AIDS.
- Osteoporosis. This bone-weakening disease is linked with periodontal bone loss and tooth loss. Certain drugs used to treat osteoporosis carry a small risk of damage to the bones of the jaw.
Having comprehensive dental insurance can ensure regular checkups and exams that aid in early detection or even prevention of disease, thus supporting your overall health.
Protect Your Health While Protecting Your Wallet
TMA Insurance Trust works with leading carriers to provide you with the best dental insurance plans for you and your family. These plans are designed to save you money every step of the way. You’ll receive 100% coverage on in-network preventive care–including cleanings and oral exams. Your TMA membership also entitles you to valuable discounted group rates on more comprehensive services. Even if you choose to go out of network, you will still enjoy discounted rates.
Together, your health insurance and dental insurance can provide a solid foundation to support the total health of you and your family. Contact an advisor at 1-800-880-8181, Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 5:30 pm CST, and they can help you find the affordable dental plan that’s best for you.
For over 60 years, TMA Insurance Trust advisors have been serving Texas physicians, their families and staff. TMA Insurance Trust prides itself on offering unbiased information and strategies to members, along with exclusive group rates on a range of the highest-rated plans in the industry.