In the medical profession, your ability to care for your patients is closely tied to your health and well-being. If an illness or injury disrupted your ability to work, could you cover your living expenses and additional medical bills? Most young physicians, especially residents, face substantial education loan repayments, monthly rent or mortgage bills, auto expenses, and potentially, the responsibilities of starting or caring for a young family. If you were unable to practice and earn an income, even for a short period of time, these financial demands could quickly deplete your savings and leave you financially vulnerable.
Your Financial Safety Net
The TMA Member Short Term Disability Insurance plan is tailored to meet the unique needs of early career physicians, residents, and seasoned practitioners. It provides the support you need to help manage your routine living expenses during a temporary absence from work by guaranteeing swift and ongoing cash benefits when you need them most.
Here’s how this coverage was designed to support you.
- Guaranteed Acceptance: For members under age 55, acceptance is guaranteed, providing a cash benefit of up to $6,000 a month. Underwriting for members under age 65 opens doors for even higher benefits, up to $2,500 per week - $10,000 per month.*
- Affordable Premiums: We understand the importance of budget-friendly solutions, which is why our premium rates are designed to be accessible to all of our member physicians.
- Extended Coverage: Benefits are paid for up to 90 days, offering valuable support during an extended period of illness or injury.
- Quick Benefits: No one wants to wait when financial stability is at stake. You can start receiving benefits immediately or within seven days (depending on the elimination period you choose when you enroll).
- Benefits Paid Directly to You: This plan provides you with financial flexibility. Benefits are paid directly to you, allowing you to address your specific needs during recovery.
- Partial Disability Coverage: You don't have to be completely unable to work to receive benefits. Even in cases of partial disability, you can access the support you need.
- Pregnancy Coverage: We understand that your career and family planning go hand in hand. Our plan covers pregnancy, including 2 weeks prepartum and 6 weeks postpartum, with 8 weeks for C-sections. You must be enrolled in the coverage for at least 12 months before becoming pregnant to take advantage of this benefit.
- Portable Coverage: Unlike an employer plan, this coverage can follow you throughout your career as long as you are a member of TMA.
- Pick Your Plan: Two versions of the plan are available, distinguished by the elimination periods:
- Option 1: Coverage begins on day one for an accident and after 7 days for an illness.
- Option 2: Coverage begins after 7 days for either an accident or an illness.
If you're equipped with long-term disability coverage from your employer or a personal policy, take a moment to check the elimination period. Often, these policies require waiting periods of 90 to 180 days before benefits begin. Could your finances sustain this delay, or should you take steps to protect your financial stability now? It's crucial to consider the big picture.
With the TMA Member Short Term Disability Plan, your acceptance is guaranteed, allowing you to establish a financial safety net quickly. This benefit is a valuable addition to your membership, ensuring you have the protection you need without putting your finances at risk.
Help Protect Your Income From the Start
Don't leave your financial future to chance. It's time to help secure your professional journey and protect your financial well-being. To learn more about the TMA Member Short Term Disability Insurance plan and how it can benefit you, contact us at 800-880-8181, weekdays from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. CST. Invest in yourself and help ensure that your financial future remains as healthy as your patients.
For over 65 years, TMA Insurance Trust advisors have been serving Texas physicians, their families and staff. TMA Insurance Trust prides itself on offering unbiased information and strategies to members, along with exclusive group rates on a range of the highest-rated plans in the industry.