Protect Your Home with Safety Upgrades
According to recent data by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Texas has the third-highest homeowners insurance premiums in the United States. One of the reasons for this is that Texas has a high level of insurance claims due to bad weather. If you would like to protect your home and reduce the risk of damage, thereby reducing the overall cost of insuring your home, consider the following renovations and upgrades.
- Roof: In June 2017, hundreds of homes in Odessa, Texas suffered catastrophic hail damage during a summer storm. Since your roofing material is your home's first line of defense against hail, Texas insurers offer a premium discount when impact-resistant roofing is installed. The largest discounts are for Class 4 roofs (the most impact resistant) and in areas of the state where insurance losses from hail storms have been most frequent and costly.
- Electrical System: According to the National Fire Protection Association, 69% of home fires are caused by some type of electrical problem. Outdated or improper electrical components and/or wiring can endanger your family, damage appliances, and make it difficult to sell your property. Some insurers will not provide coverage at all for homes with outdated electrical systems. New wiring and updated electrical circuits will help reduce the risk of fire and other damage to the home.
- Plumbing: Faulty plumbing and failed water heaters can flood basements and cause tremendous damage to floors, walls, furniture, and electrical systems. Take the time to check for signs of dripping and corrosion in exposed pipes. Small repairs now can prevent costly claims later, and avoiding claims is one way to hold down the cost of your homeowners insurance.
- Protective systems: Sprinkler systems and alarm systems protect your home from fire damage and theft. Several insurance companies offer discounts on your homeowners policy if you have these systems in place.
- Heating system: Since your furnace takes a vacation during the summer months, now is the perfect time for a safety check. As furnace components age, their chance of failure – and the chance of major damage to your home – increases dramatically. Repairing or replacing your system may not only help you save on energy costs, but on your insurance premiums as well.
Protect Your Wallet by Shopping Around
Reducing your risk is wise, but if you want to save money on your insurance premiums, one of the quickest and easiest ways to do so is to shop around for the best rate. A recent Bankrate comparison study showed a 121% difference between the highest and lowest home insurance quotes. You may be surprised to learn that, for equal coverage, one insurer’s policy can cost more than double the price that another insurer would charge.
Protecting You in Every Season
TMA Insurance Trust has made it easier than ever for members to comparison shop for homeowners coverage. In the Auto & Home section of the TMA Insurance Trust website, you can compare quotes and connect with a helpful professional who can find the best coverage for your needs and budget. If you are considering or have completed any of the upgrades mentioned in this article, the agent will alert you to any potential savings or discounts for which you may be eligible.
Once you have proper protection, your advisor will still be working for you, continually scanning the marketplace for ways you can save or improve your coverage. Advisors will be at your service whatever the season – to answer your questions and offer practical solutions. Call (877)755-9576 today and get the protection and service that you deserve.
For over 60 years, TMA Insurance Trust advisors have been serving Texas physicians, their families and staff. TMA Insurance Trust prides itself on offering unbiased information and strategies to members, along with exclusive group rates on a range of the highest-rated plans in the industry.