When you chose to become a physician, you accepted tremendous responsibility. In many ways, you allowed yourself to become accountable for others’ lives, while at times putting your own health and safety at risk. Though there is an inherent risk in your profession - particularly now due to the Coronavirus - serious illness or injury could happen to any person in their day-to-day life.
Disability Insurance: Why Now?
Just like you use PPE to protect your health, there are tools you can use to help protect your financial future. This coverage is most affordable when a person is young and healthy, as most residents and fellows are. That is why it is a good time to look at your need for financial protection now. Let’s explore some compelling reasons why.
Lower Rates for Younger Physicians
Because disability insurance rates are based on age and health, the price you will pay now is likely the best rate you will see in your lifetime.
Rates Have Not Increased During the Pandemic
Even though your personal risk for contracting Covid-19 may be higher, disability insurance rates have not increased for physicians during the pandemic. And illness due to Covid-19 is covered by your disability insurance.
You May be Eligible for Discounts Now
As a resident or fellow, through TMA Insurance Trust, you are eligible for special discounts and offers that may not be available to you later.
Long-Term Disability Insurance Has Options for You
Even though you may have some coverage now from your employer, most likely you are covered with limited protection that is not comprehensive. Given your situation, it is financially prudent to consider an individual policy that you can keep once you leave your current position. Young physicians benefit from having a personal policy with provisions that add flexibility and make the policy work for the long-term. Some of those provisions are:
Additional Coverage for Student Loan Payments
At this time in your life, your outstanding student loan debt is usually at its highest. Having this additional coverage adds a layer of protection that especially can benefit you now.
Cost of Living Adjustment
Over time, inflation will likely have a reducing effect on the value of your benefits. The cost-of-living adjustment will help protect against this.
Future Increase Option Provision
In the future, your income will increase. This option allows you to increase your benefit along with your income without worrying about how any health changes will affect your premium cost. You will be guaranteed additional coverage to help protect the increase in your income.
Unbiased Personal Assistance
Should you help protect your income with a personal disability insurance policy now? There are considerations to weigh, and you may not be sure where you stand. With TMA Insurance Trust, you can work with a trusted advisor. Our advisors don’t receive sales-based commissions, and have years of experience assisting residents and fellows with their insurance needs. You can contact us for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation for guidance that helps you feel confident about your future.
Savings and Service Go Hand in Hand
At TMA Insurance Trust, we are proud to offer members exclusive discounts on their personal long-term disability insurance. Our members have found the following information helpful in determining what plan is right for them.
Here are two plans that offer exclusive savings for TMA Members:
Guardian Disability Insurance
TMA Insurance Trust has negotiated an exclusive TMA member discount of up to 20% for the life of the policy on Guardian’s disability plans.
- Up to $20,000/month benefit with no medical exam and no financials required
- Entire application process can be handled online
- True Own Occupation definition of disability, with enhanced medical specialty language
- 150% first-year benefit for a serious illness
- Non-Cancellable (premiums cannot change)
- Guaranteed Renewable (once coverage is placed, Guardian may not modify benefits)
- Permanent discounts up to 20% for TMA members for the life of the policy.
Optional benefits include:
- Future Increase Option—up to $30,000/month in total disability benefit
- Enhanced Partial Disability Benefit Rider, Recovery Benefits for Full Benefit Period
- Student Loan Rider—up to $2,500/month in protection against student loans
- Cost of Living Adjustment Rider
- Retirement Protection Rider—up to $4,750/month in retirement contribution protection
TMA Member Long Term Disability Insurance
The TMA Member Long Term Disability Plan issued by The Prudential Insurance Company of America comes with an exclusive 25% Thank You Credit - effectively reducing our regular rates by 25%.
- Streamlined application process
- Own Occupation benefits paid for first 120 months with the potential for benefits to be received beyond this period
- Ability to apply for a benefit up to $4,000 without the need to qualify for coverage based on their income or consider any other coverage they may have
- Student Loan Reimbursement (SLR) benefit – additional payment of up to 25% of your monthly benefit for members under age 40 – up to a maximum benefit of $250,000
- Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) provision
- Catastrophic Disability benefit – additional 20% of your monthly benefit for a covered catastrophic disability
- Annual opportunity to increase coverage to age 45
- Online application available by clicking below
Contact Us for More Information
TMA Insurance Trust was created by Texas physicians, for the good of Texas physicians. These long-term disability plans are examples of how TMA Insurance Trust is providing quality coverage with exclusive discounts for members.
If you would like more information about the right plan for you as a resident or fellow, please contact Wendell England, Liz West, or Edward VanWisse for personal assistance. These advisors can be reached by calling 1-800-880-8181.
For over 60 years, TMA Insurance Trust advisors have been serving Texas physicians, their families and staff. TMA Insurance Trust prides itself on offering unbiased information and strategies to members, along with exclusive group rates on a range of the highest-rated plans in the industry.